“June Bride” from the movie “Seven Brides for Seven Brothers”
There are various reasons throughout the ages June has been considered the optimum time to wed. In the “old days,” one very practical consideration was in order to time births that wouldn’t interfere with harvest work. During medieval times, one’s annual bath usually happened in May or June. So… June brides would still smell relatively fresh. Ahhh… romance…
Did you know…?
In an American wedding tradition, a young child is chosen as the ring bearer to represent innocence and new beginnings together. The pillow they carry is symbolic of the promise of dreams coming true for the bride and groom.
Here are some interesting wedding traditions from around the globe:
- Spain - At some weddings, the groom’s will raise money for the newlyweds during the reception by cutting up his tie and selling pieces to guests. Sometimes, the bride’s friends will do the same with her garter!
- Sweden – The bride and groom walk down the aisle together. According to a Swedish wedding planner, it is often difficult to convince clergy to let the bride’s father give her away. “They just don’t like the idea of a woman being owned by a man and given away to another man.”
- Congo – During the entire wedding day, Congolese couples are not allowed to smile throughout the ceremony or reception. They are viewed as not being serious about marriage if they do.
- Fiji – When a Fijian man comes to a woman’s father to ask for her hand in marriage, he must present his prospective father-in-law with a whale’s tooth.
- China – On the morning of the wedding day, Chinese bridesmaids will challenge the groom – and sometimes his groomsmen – to prove his worthiness of his bride by way of a series of tests called “wedding door games.” And after all that – he must pay off the ladies with envelopes full of money.
Sweeten up an old wedding tradition with Popped Perfect
Popped Perfect is gourmet popcorn made with love, one batch at a time. Sweeten the tradition of gifts for the wedding party by including a bag of Popped Perfect or a gift card to allow them to choose their own flavors.
Options available to you to enjoy Popped Perfect include: